About Me

I like to call myself eccentric, while most people prefer crazy, but i firmly believe that it is necessary to be crazy to lead a colourful life

Friday, November 18, 2005

inspiration

Hi
It’s me again. Though who else it can be except for me I haven’t the faintest idea. This is my blog and so there cannot be anyone other than me. Only I wanted to begin and could not think of a better beginning so the hi it’s me again.
Anyway getting to the point which I am not really sure exists. I am not writing here because there is sumthin that I want to write about. I am writing here only because I want to write. About what I don’t know. All that I know is that this desire to write has in some way arisen after reading Fountainhead. For those who don’t know it is a novel by ayn rand about the struggle of an architect. That in itself does not sound even remotely inspiring and it isn’t. What is though is the text of the novel, the way in which it is written. To me the novel seems to be filled of meaningless mumble jumble in exceptionally high English which I accept I do not completely understand. What I infer from reading parts of the novel is that it is highly philosophical and seems to go round and round without actually saying anything. Reading it today created an intense desire in me to just write. It somewhat adheres to what I consider to be somewhat similar to my style of writing which is saying anything and everything that comes to the mind without really thinking whether it means sumthin or not. As an example I would like to paste here an excerpt from the book. There is no introduction necessary because it does not really make any sense at least as far as the storyline is concerned. So here’s how it goes:
“When facing society, the man most concerned, the man who is to do the most and contribute the most, has the least say. It’s taken for granted that he has no voice and the reasons he could offer are rejected in advance as prejudiced—since no speech is ever considered, but only the speaker. It’s so much easier to pass judgment on a man than on an idea. Though how in hell one passes judgment on a man without considering the content of his brain is more than ill ever understand. However, that’s how it is done. You see, reasons require scales to weigh them. And scales are not made of cotton. And cotton is what the human spirit is made of—you know, the stuff that keeps no shape and can be twisted forward and backward into a pretzel. You could tell them y they should hire u so very much better than I cud. But they won’t listen to u and they’ll listen to me. Because I’m the middleman. The shortest distance between two points is not a straight line—it’s a middleman. And the more middlemen, the shorter. Such is the psychology of a pretzel.”
I would not say that this is totally ununderstandable. At the same time it does not completely make sense either at least to me. But it is fun reading because it is pure thoughts put into text without any editing. That is what I have always wanted to do.
One more excerpt which does make sense but I still feel I want to put in here. Here’s how this one goes:
“Now you see the particular effectiveness of a dead issue. You can’t talk your way out of it, you can’t explain, you can’t defend yourself. Nobody wants to listen. It is difficult enough to acquire fame. It is impossible to change its nature once you have acquired it. No, you can never ruin an architect by proving he’s a bad architect. But u can ruin him because he is an atheist, or because somebody sued him, or because he slept with some woman, or because he pulls wings off flies. You’ll say it doesn’t make sense? Of course it doesn’t. That’s why it works. Reason can be fought with reason. How are you going to fight the unreasonable? The trouble with u, my dear, and with most people, is that you don’t have sufficient respect for the senseless. The senseless is the major factor in our lives. You have no chance if it is your enemy. But if u can make it become your ally—ah my dear.”
This paragraph once again does make quite a bit of sense. But again it is beautifully written, seems straight out of the mind and on to the paper and very natural. This is what I aspire to do. Just write about…………….anything…………about everything. And it need not make sense always. And that is what I am going to do from now onwards. Just write, write whatever comes to mind, write without thinking. And once again if anyone has any problems they can approach the address given in my previous posts. Comments if any are welcome.

No comments:

Post a Comment